Who do you please?

on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

As much as I love to dress up and "look cute" I am always going to be that typical jeans and a t-shirt girl. There's just nothing easier. However there are those times when I have to pretend to be a grown up and dress a little more professional. Those times come around very sporadically in my world, but it must have been time to fill my professional quota because it called me on the phone yesterday.

I received a call from a job I had applied for recently, and they wanted to meet with me. Whoop! Whoop! I love interviews, even though they do cause the nervous chatter I'm prone to and another little side effect that comes with nerves that I won't discuss here (my sister knows that one all too well, it must run in the family). Aside from that, I love to do interviews for a number of reasons but especially because it gives me a chance to sell myself, and an opportunity to have an open forum to do so is always welcome, especially when it's for a potential job. However, with this love comes the little question, "what do I wear?!"

I've always been a little confused as to what is appropriate. I've read articles about it, talked to a lot people, and remembered what my college adviser told me, but all their answers have never satisfied me. It's always been this:

-Two piece suit in either gray or black
-Button up shirt in conservative color
-Sensible/conservative shoes in gray or black
-Hosiery close to natural skin color

Ugh, boring! Why can't you be stylish AND professional?

I've done the suit jacket, button up shirt, and the conservative shoe for interviews before but this time I refuse. It just isn't me, and I believe along with showing your personality through your words you can show it through your clothing.

So Eventually I came up with the three things that are most important to me when deciding on what to wear for an interview,

1. Comfort- Both physically and mentally; the better I feel, the more confidence I have.
2. Style- To include my personal tastes and to show I know what's going on right now.
3. Professionalism- Obviously when for an interview I won't be digging out the mini-skirt

and I came up with this ensemble...
Although it was a jewelry company I was applying at, I'm not usually one to wear a lot jewelry. So instead of a blinging necklace or shiny bracelet I opted for a printed scarf and skinny belt for my accessories. The scarf makes a statement and brightens up what could be just boring black. And because my (fairly) new wardrobe obsession is belts, I chose this green one. Belts are so great because they a.) define a waist and give shape and b.) add a little color/design to a blank palate.

I think I accomplished what I set out to do, and the interview went really well. It helped, of course, that I was dressed in something I felt comfortable in and not something I was told to wear by some random online article.

And after all that, I have to wait and see if I get the job.

Note: In the first picture I'm posing kind of seductively, and that is EXACTLY how I stood as I was waiting to meet with the interviewer. A little sass always helps.

Leave your comment