I will not buy, I will just look...

on Saturday, January 30, 2010

The officially started yesterday, and what do I do? Make a trip to Barnes and Noble of course.

Here's the full breakdown, abbreviated to allow me lots of time for reading today:

Christmas Time includes a lot of things; mistletoe, garland, reindeer, candy, eggnog, and always...presents. This year, no different. I received a Barnes and Noble gift card. Then, a welcome. Now, a distraction.

With free money in hand I stand outside the looming Barnes and Noble, shaking a bit from the anticipation of throwing myself into the lions den. This is it, the defining moment, my first defining moment of this challenge. If I can't stand the temptation on day 1, I'll never survive day 8 or day 365.

As soon as I walk through the glass doors I see those lovely green signs atop wood tables covered in mountains of books saying, "New Non-Fiction", "Buy 1 get 2", "New and Noteworthy". I think I might pass out. But this is my choice, I want to put myself smack dab in front of temptation to see if I can come out fighting. Afterall, Barnes and Noble sells more than just books.

Immediately I dart past all the distractions and head for the safety of the dvd's. Yes! Dvd's, of course! They're a safety zone, no books here. But eventually I realize there's nothing I want and start to venture towards the New Non-Fiction section, it doesn't hurt to look.

And this is where I start to feel it, the nagging desire to buy. Instead, I take a deep breath and chant quietly to myself,


I'm just looking, it doesn't hurt to look...
I will not buy...
I will just look.


Aside from making me look crazy to the person next to me, this method helps, and I continue on.

I leave the store with a wish list of books, a pack of mini-journals, and a desire to read. I looked temptation in the eye, holding free money, and laughed in his face. Ahahaha, I win.

But the wish list is going to grow, I'm going to be tempted again, and free money will appear next Christmas, but I will not succumb!


The start of my wish list
:

"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it" -Mae West

Leave your comment