Thou Shalt Not Covet?

on Sunday, January 24, 2010

About two times every month I loose myself in the idyllic pages of my Pottery Barn catalog and dream about owning every embroidered sheet set, decorative vase, and wicker basket ever made by the company. Needless to say I'm so enthralled with the catalog as I'm looking at it, I won't talk to anyone unless they offer up words like decoupage, candelabra, or galvanized.

But what always snaps me back to reality is that tiny little number below each item, the price. When I see that 8 snarling back at me with mocking distaste, I'm reminded of the fact that it will be awhile before I can afford my very own Pottery Barn apartment (sigh).

So last week I received another catalog in the mail and began my bi-monthly ritual. Only this time as I turned the next page I saw the coolest wall decoration, and instantly the proverbial light bulb lit up over my head. I had an idea! I was going to make that wall decoration for myself.

After analyzing the photograph, I made a mad dash to the hardware store and bought the supplies I needed to replicate this piece of Pottery Barn heaven.

Burlap Rope: $4.00
Clothes Pins (set of 40): $4.00
Coffee: Already had

If you're wondering about the coffee, I used it to dye the clothes pins to give it a more rustic look. You could also use tea, but being a coffee enthusiast I thought I'd save money and use what I already have. In order to achieve a dark, rich, rustic brown I boiled 2 parts coffee and 1 part water and soaked the pins for about an hour.

I came out with something that is versatile, unique, cheap, and more importantly that looks like it came straight out of a Pottery Barn catalog.








One comment

I need some rope and clipies - great idea!!

by Bethany James on January 24, 2010 at 8:26 PM. #

Leave your comment