Craft Day

on Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Screw Groundhog Day, I'm celebrating Craft Day.

Last night I decided that I would deem today, February 3rd, 2010, Craft Day. I planned a list of things I had been meaning to do, like hem a few skirts and sew up some pillows, and also of things a little more creative.

Here's one of the projects I did in honor of Craft Day.


Lying around the apartment I had a large black picture frame that had no glass. It was still in good shape, but I didn't want to put a picture in it since there was no glass to protect it. So I got a bright idea and decided to create a mural for my bedroom. I've never done one before but I had a vision in my head, and the vision looked amazing (they always do). I believe most good craft projects come from a really great vision you have, whether or not the end result is akin to what you imagined.

The first step in this process was to make the frame match the other frames in my bedroom, and since I use brown and rust-colored frames I needed this one to be the same. Just by mixing acrylic red and yellow paint I formed a color that suited the room perfectly.

NOTE: I kept in mind that whatever color I mixed was going to change a little once applied to the black frame.



Once the frame was painted I started to look for the materials I needed to make the actual mural. My vision included images of birds, different typefaces, yellow ribbons, buttons, and lace.

I basically dug through my craft bins and found pictures, ribbons, fabrics, and buttons that I thought would work well for my mural.

There are few times in life where I'm proud of being a pack rat, this is one of them--- I didn't have to go out and buy any materials for this project. Since I didn't spend any money on this project and I already had all the materials I needed, I decided to call this my Found Objects Mural.

And here it is in it's finished form...


And it fits perfectly with the decor in my bedroom...


Overall I'm really happy with the result. I took something I had that I didn't know what to do with and made into a little piece of artwork. Artwork that, most importantly, didn't cost me anything.

I had some left over materials I didn't use, so back in the craft bin they go, until the next Craft Day

One comment

Ohh, I like Craft Day! All my attempted projects end up failing...so it's fun to live through you and see your projects turn out so well! :)

by Sara on February 4, 2010 at 3:34 PM. #

Leave your comment