Soapbox Thursday: Text Acronyms

on Thursday, April 15, 2010

I was bored one day so I decided to google "common acronyms used in texts", and I could not believe how many there were. I was just starting to get the hang of reading SMH (shaking my head) and now I have to look out for ACORN, A Completely Obsessive Really Nutty person. There's even a code for Starbucks (*$); it's crazy what's out there.


I've always found those acronyms to be ridiculous, lazy, and/or totally unrealistic. How many times do you witness something that makes you actually roll on the floor laughing (rofl)? And how long does it take to type sorry (soz), do we really need a short cut to apologize to someone?

http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php

When I was perusing the list I found a few that don't seem to make texting easier. IHTFP stands for both I Have Truly Found Paradise and I Hate This F-ing Place. Now that's just confusing, how am I to know if you like the place or not?


I was pretty cool in the fifth grade when I would form a "W" with my hands to oppose another person or raise my palm out to someone and tell them to "talk to the hand" when they said something I didn't agree with, but these acronyms are on a completely different level. If I were a teenager now —which I assume are the majority of text acronym users— I would need a little print out of the list next to my computer to remember all of them.


This made me think whether teenagers ever accidentally slip in, 2B or not 2B, when quoting Shakespeare in their English reports. I'm sure there were times when I shot my teacher a "W" because I was so used to doing it with my friends.


I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing but text acronyms bug me, or maybe it's because I don't understand them. Either way I won't be Lol-ing in a text message anytime soon.

You should take a look at the list yourself here. It's pretty fun to read all the crazy ones out there.

One comment

You're awesome.

by Unknown on April 16, 2010 at 9:54 PM. #

Leave your comment